Dorayaki is a popular Japanese dessert consisting of two fluffy pancakes sandwiched together with a sweet red bean paste filling. Here’s a simple recipe for making dorayaki at home:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweet red bean paste (store-bought or homemade)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined and slightly frothy.
- Add the water, honey, and vanilla extract to the egg mixture and whisk until everything is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, whisking gently until you have a smooth batter. Be careful not to overmix.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter rest for about 30 minutes at room temperature. This will allow the gluten to relax and result in softer pancakes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Lightly grease the surface with oil or butter.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the pan, using the back of a spoon to spread it into a circular shape. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles start to form on the surface.
- Flip the pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- Once all the pancakes are cooked, let them cool slightly.
- Take one pancake and spread a generous amount of sweet red bean paste on the surface. Place another pancake on top to create a sandwich.
- Repeat the process until all the pancakes are used.
- Serve the dorayaki warm or at room temperature. They can be stored in an airtight container for a day or two.
Enjoy your homemade dorayaki!